Monday April 21, 2014
San Francisco's Japantown is a unique cultural opportunity. It's one of only a few Japantowns in the continental United States, along with those in Los Angeles and San Jose. It's small enough to make a fun little getaway and you'll find a couple of fun, Japanese-themed hotels to stay in, too. Plan your trip using the Japantown Getaway Planner.
Photo by dsletter_2000 at Flickr Under Attribution-NonCommercial License
Friday April 18, 2014
A while back, we asked readers what they want to do most on their San Francisco vacation. These were the top responses
- Drive on the Coast Highway
- Side Trip to Monterey and Carmel
- Side Trip to Napa
If you want to know more, check all the results
More: Coast Highway South of San Francisco | Coast Highway North of San Francisco | One Day in Napa Valley | Monterey and Carmel
Tuesday April 15, 2014
By the end of May, the summer travel season will be in full swing, kicking off over Memorial Day weekend. These are some things I'm looking forward to before then:
- It's a sweet and bittersweet occasion, getting in one last stay at the Inn on Mt. Ada on Catalina Island, before they close for good this coming November.
- Yosemite's Tioga Pass often opens in May, which means I can get across the mountains to check out a few more of those great natural hot springs around Mammoth and Bridgeport. You can find this year's actual opening info at the Yosemite website.
- I am not looking forward to the onset of May Gray and June Gloom, a California weather pattern that brings cloudy, overcast skies and cool temperatures, caused by low altitude clouds pushed inland by the wind. On the positive side, it makes those sunny days all the more welcome.
Saturday April 12, 2014
If you plan to travel in California during the next year, you might be surprised by how early you need to make reservations for some campgrounds and by how fast some of the popular annual events sell out. To help you get ahead of the things you need to plan for, we've put together a monthly list. It's not the things can do this month, but the ones you need to make plans for now, even though they may not happen for months.
To find the things you should plan ahead for in April, see the California Travel Planning Guide.