If you've never been to a nudist beach before, you may be worried about what's acceptable behavior and what isn't. These are a few nude beach etiquette guidelines that may help you feel more at ease:
- Gawking is impolite. In fact, it's rude to stare, no matter where you are and no matter how the other person is dressed (or isn't). A nude beach isn't a peep show and if you're looking for a thrill, go somewhere else.
- Ask for people's consent before taking their photograph. This is also true no matter where you are, but especially if they're nude.
- If you're sunbathing nude in a secluded area, leave a bathing suit on a rock. That's a sign to let others know they are approaching an unclothed person. If you're uncomfortable having your suit too far out of reach, bring a spare.
- On a wide open beach, position yourself in the open. You'll be able to see people coming and put something on before they get there if you need to.
- Keep the beaches open. Don't offend the neighbors. Get dressed before you leave.
- Be friendly, but respect others' rights to privacy. Many people simply like to enjoy being nude in nature and don't want to be disturbed. Advances of an unwelcome or unwanted nature are not acceptable anywhere, and especially at a nudist beach.
- Avoid sexual activity. It's illegal even where nude sunbathing is allowed and it's offensive. It also leads to nude beaches getting closed, which hurts everyone who enjoys the clothing optional lifestyle.
- Be Prepared for the beach. Nude beaches seldom have amenities. Unless you know otherwise, bring water, food, towel, sunscreen and everything else you need.
- This one's also a good idea on any beach, but especially important to those who enjoy being in natural surroundings. Keep the nudist beach clean. If you carried it in, carry it back out. Be especially careful with plastic, which can be a hazard for marine animals.
Know what the law is and obey it.
- If a law enforcement officer or park ranger approaches you and asks you to get dressed or to leave, just be polite and do it at once.