I started to write this article as one list of the best things to do in Las Vegas, but it soon became apparent that a single list is kind of like a one-size-fits-all hat: it wouldn't meet anyone's needs very well. The lists below suggest some things to do in Las Vegas based on your interests.
Things to do in Las Vegas - Casinos for Tourists
One of the most popular things to do in Las Vegas is walk along the Strip and check out the casinos. Many people enjoy this even if they don't gamble. Not all casinos are created equal, and some offer more things to do for the casino tourist than others. These are my favorites:
- Venetian: Modeled after the Italian city, the Venetian features gondoliers and people strolling in antique costumes. Don't miss the lobby's gold-framed ceiling frescoes.
- Caesar's Palace: As elegant inside as out, Caesar's shopping arcades are lined with the world's best names. With a ceiling painted like the sky and changing illumination during the day, it almost feels like you're outside (except the weather's better).
- Bellagio: Elegant Bellagio is an overdose of eye-candy. Best spots here are the lobby ceiling, a colorful glass creation by Dale Chihuly, and the Conservatory, and plant-filled respite from the Strip.
- Paris: I like the Paris for its exuberant casino floor, the winding shopping lanes and best of all for the view from the Eiffel Tower Experience.
- Best of the Rest: Still fun things to do in Las Vegas, and worth a visit if you have the time: New York-New York, Luxor, Aladdin, Excalibur.
Things to do in Las Vegas - Gamblers
You know what things to do in Las Vegas, but did you know that slot machines give the worst odds? Baccarat and 21 have the best.
Things to do in Las Vegas - Families
If you're looking for things to do in Las Vegas with your family, forget the casino's gaming floors. Children aren't allowed. Kids like the casinos' entertainment and shopping areas, though, and any of the best casinos for tourists listed above, or the animal lovers' attractions listed below will entertain them. The best of the rest of the things to do in Las Vegas for families include:
Things to do in Las Vegas - Animal Lovers
I was surprised to find so many animal-oriented things to do in Las Vegas. The best charge admission, but they're well-kept and enjoyable.
- Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat, Mirage: Siegfried and Roy's show may have closed, but their white tigers and white lions are still around, and sitting beside the dolphin pool just before sunset is one of my favorite things to do in Las Vegas.
- Shark Reef, Mandalay Bay: An honest-to-goodness accredited aquarium, filled with all kinds of fish and water creatures.
- Lion Habitat, MGM Grand: They're kept behind glass, but the attraction is one the free things to do, and it's worth a short stop to see them.
Things to do in Las Vegas - Day Trips
As if there weren't enough things to do in Las Vegas itself, here are a couple of the best things to do on Las Vegas day trips.
- Hoover Dam: People of all ages enjoy a visit to this monumental dam.
- Grand Canyon: It's a bit of a long trip, but you can get to the Grand Canyon and back in a day. Two is better.