The Christmas holiday gets most of the attention in December, but we've dug out a few other fun things to do.
- Inns of Distinction Tour, Carmel: A good opportunity to visit several of Carmel's most charming little inns and sample local cuisine.
- Christmas in Los Angeles: Over-the-top public and neighborhood light displays, traditional Mexican holiday celebrations
- Christmas in Orange County: Lighted boat parades, grand Christmas pageants and Christmas Disney-style
- Christmas in San Diego: December Nights, holiday lights and boat parades
- Christmas in San Francisco: Lots of great musical performances and city lights
- Christmas in the Rest of California: Train rides, more boat parades, Yosemite's Bracebridge Dinners and Hearst Castle decked out for the holidays
- New Year's Eve in California: An overview of all the big celebrations
- Mavericks Invitational: It's a surfing competition that attracts top surfers and it can happen any time between November and March, as soon as the waves are big enough. This guide has all the details and information about how to find out when it's happening.
- Vintner's Holidays, Yosemite: Held over several weekends, the holidays offer a chance to learn about wine and meet the winemakers, ending with a gala dinner
- Geminid Meteor Showers: Nature puts on its own holiday lights display mid-month. The best places to see them are far away from city lights and where there are few trees: Joshua Tree or Lake Shasta are great choices.