- Mother's Day is the second weekend in May. If you're looking for something special for Mom's big day, we've got some great ideas. It includes places for family getaways, fun day trips and things to do beyond the same, old, tired Mother's Day Brunch.
- Amgen Tour of California Bicycle Race: California's version of the famous French bicycle race the Tour de France attracts some big-name riders
- Bay to Breakers Race, San Francisco attracts more then 30,000 runners and just as many spectators who come to see all the great costumed runners
- Calaveras County Fair and Jumping Frog Jubilee, Angels Camp is an old-fashioned county fair that also features the jumping amphibians which inspired author Mark Twain's first published work
- Cinco de Mayo: May 5 isn't Mexico's independence day, but it does mark an important battle when an ill-equipped Mexican army held off a French invasion. You'll find celebrations in Los Angeles' Olvera Street, San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose
- Eta Aquarid Meteor Shower: The best places to see them are far away from city lights and where there are few trees: Joshua Tree and Lake Shasta are great choices.
- Memorial Day in California: The first big holiday of summer is the last Monday of the month.
Whale Watching in May: Humpbacks and orcas are most commonly seen this time of year.
- Wings of Freedom Tour: Collins Foundation’s annual vintage aircraft tour visits more than a dozen California locations in April and May. You can tour a restored B-17, B-24, P-51 and others, take a flight or even get a little flight training yourself.