California in October
- Fleet Week, San Francisco: It's a celebration of the military fleet, featuring some impressive ships and an eye-popping air show.
- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, San Francisco: This free event is held in Golden Gate Park and features tons of really excellent bluegrass-style performers.
- Oktoberfest, Big Bear Lake: You know what Oktoberfest is all about - beer and more beer - and they've got it.
- Pumpkin Festival, Half Moon Bay: Home of that giant pumpkin contest you see every year in the media, with lots of fall fun.
- Cambria Scarecrow Festival: More than 350 of the most cutest, most creative scarecrows you can imagine line the town's streets.
- JazzTrax Festival, Catalina Island: One of our favorites. So popular that it sells out every year, so plan ahead.
- Mill Valley Film Festival: It's not far from San Francisco and they show some great films in a state-of-the art theatre.
- Western Film Festival, Lone Pine: More cowboy-filled western movies were filmed around Lone Pine than you can count and this festival celebrates them all.
- Whale Watching in October: Gray whales start their southward migration and you may also see blue whales, fin whales and Minke whales.