Nearest Entrances: Northeast entrance, 38 miles (78 km), East entrance, 43 miles (69 km) Altitude: 7,743 feet (2,357 m) Access Roads Open: East entrance open early May through early November.
Services: Post office, gas station, visitor center, ATM, general store, laundry
Canyon Village Yellowstone Activities
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone: The golden-walled canyon, with its waterfalls and turquoise river, is one of Yellowstone's most-photographed sights. Enjoy it from the overlooks, or hike along the rim.
- Drive South: About six miles south of Canyon Village, the Yellowstone River meanders through the wide Hayden Valley. Swans and Canadian geese come here, along with elk, deer and bison. Bears are also sighted in the woods along the river.
- Drive North: The drive from Canyon Village in Yellowstone to Roosevelt goes over some of the park's highest passes and through open meadows.
- Star-Gazing: Night in Canyon Village of Yellowstone brings out a different kind of "star," and sometimes these heavenly stars are bright enough to cast shadows.
Commercial Tours Leaving from Canyon Village YellowstoneThese tours are operated by Xanterra Resorts, and leave from Canyon Village Yellowstone. Other tours leave from other locations.
- Circle of Fire: Old Faithful, Fountain Paint Pots, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
- Twilight Shadows: An evening drive, with stops for wildlife viewing
- Roosevelt Cookout: Cowboy grub (steaks, baked beans and all the trimmings), cowboy music, wranglers and covered wagons. Shuttle leaves Canyon Village in late afternoon.
- Horseback riding: One- and two-hour horseback rides along Cascade Creek