Nearest Entrance: East entrance, 27 miles (43 km) Altitude: 7, 764 feet (2,373 m) Access Roads Open: East entrance open early May through early November
Services: Post office, gas station, visitor center, ATM, general store, laundry
Lake Village Yellowstone Area Information
- Lake Village and Lake Yellowstone sit inside an ancient volcano cone that was carved out by glaciers.
- The lake's surface area is 135 square miles, making it the largest lake in the U. S. above 7,000 feet. It's so large it sometimes creates its own weather, generating clouds during the day, resulting in evening rain.
- The Absaroka Mountains form the backdrop for Lake Yellowstone
Lake Village Yellowstone Area Activities
- Fishing Bridge Visitor Center: Focuses on area birds and wildlife, and how they survive.
- Lake Hotel Tour: Tour the park's oldest hotel, built in 1891, to learn about its long history. Check at the front desk for tour days and times.
- Drive North: About ten miles north of Lake Village, the Yellowstone River meanders through the wide Hayden Valley. Swans and Canadian geese come here, along with elk, deer and bison. Bears are also sighted in the woods along the river.
- Star-Gazing: Night here brings out a different kind of "star," and sometimes these heavenly stars are bright enough to cast shadows.
Commercial Tours Leaving from Lake Village YellowstoneThese tours are operated by Xanterra Resorts and leave from Lake Village Yellowstone. Other tours leave from other locations.
- Boat cruise: Boat cruises leave from nearby Bay Bridge Marina.
- Circle of Fire: Old Faithful, Fountain Paint Pots, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
- Teton Vista: Southern Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks in one day.
- Photo Safari: An early-morning photographic expedition
- Sunset Bus Tour: Ride aboard a 1947 touring bus, along Yellowstone Lake's shore and up to Lake Butte Overlook
- Roosevelt Cookout: Cowboy grub (steaks, baked beans and all the trimmings), cowboy music, wranglers and covered wagons. Shuttle leaves Lake Village in late afternoon.