Nearest Entrance: North entrance, 5 miles (8 km) Altitude: 6,239 feet (1,902 m) Access Roads Open: Year round.
Services: Post office, gas station, medical clinic, visitor center, ATM, general store, chapel
Mammoth Hot Springs Yellowstone Information
- Mammoth Hot Springs at Yellowstone is the only area open year round.
- The historic fort is a remnant from the time when the U. S. Cavalry helped manage the park.
- The Terraces are one of the world's few active travertine (limestone) terraces.
Mammoth Hot Springs Yellowstone Activities
- Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces: A fantastic world of travertine terraces created by mineral-laden water and evaporation.
- Albright Visitor Center: Located in Fort Yellowstone's historic Bachelor Officer's Quarters, it shows two special films, The Challenge of Yellowstone and Thomas Yellowstone Moran.
- Fort Yellowstone: Take a self-guided walking tour to learn about the days when the United States Cavalry helped manage the park. Pick up a tour brochure at the visitor center.
- Wraith Falls: An easy one-mile hike takes you through sagebrush and forest to the foot of Wraith Falls. The trail begins at the turnout 1.4 miles east of the Lava Creek Picnic Area, about five miles from Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone.
- Beaver Ponds Trail: A five-mile loop trail (350-foot elevation gain) leading through fir and spruce trees and open meadows. The trail starts below the Terraces. From the lower parking lot, go between the Liberty Cap and the stone house.
- Drive North to Gardiner: Behind the hotel, take the one-way road leading uphill. This scenic drive comes out just inside the north entrance. Look for bighorn sheep in the canyon on your way back toward Mammoth Hot Springs.
- Drive South to Norris Geyser Basin: A collection of geysers, mudpots and hot springs, 21 miles south.
- Drive East: Drive across the Blacktail Deer Plateau, and take the self-guided Forces of the Northern Range Trail.
- Star-Gazing: Night at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone brings out a different kind of "star," and sometimes these heavenly stars are bright enough to cast shadows.
Commercial Tours Leaving from Mammoth Hot Springs YellowstoneThese tours are operated by Xanterra Resorts and leave from the Mammoth Hot Springs Yellowstone. Other tours leave from other locations.
- Horseback Rides: One- and two-hour horseback rides, along the trail below Bunsen Peak
- Yellowstone in a Day: Park overview includes Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake and Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone