Black's Beach, America's most popular, is an active nudist site in the state-owned portion. If you visit, do your part to keep it that way by respecting the boundary signs and covering up if you're going beyond them.
The photo above shows Black’s Beach from the northern section of Torrey Pines State Beach. It was taken at high tide.
LocationLa Jolla, San Diego County
- Black's Beach is topped by 300-foot-high sandstone cliffs
- Two miles long and as wide as 60 feet at low tide
- Nudity bans are enforced on the south end of Blacks Beach, in the city-owned section
- Hang gliders and remote control airplanes hover nearby
Who's at Blacks Beach
One a busy day, as many as 1000 people may show up at Black's Beach, according to Brad, who did his own informal count on a hot summer day.
Blacks Beach Facilities
Porta-potties in the gliderport parking lot
Blacks Beach Activities
Surfing, snorkeling, boogie boarding, jogging, volley ball, tide pooling and swimming
Stingrays rest in the water just beneath the sand's surface. Shuffle your feet as you walk in the water to scare them away before you accidentally step on one and get a painful sting.
More Nude Beaches Within 25 Miles of Blacks
- San Onofre: Located near the northern boundary of San Diego County, north of Camp Pendleton. As of this writing in late 2010, state park rangers may issue citations for nudity. check the profile for current information
Nudity Laws and Blacks Beach
Laws regarding nudity at the naturist beach vary by location and fines are stiff in some places. I have made every effort to provide accurate information, but the responsibility for knowing the law at Blacks Beach is yours.