The California Delta houseboat experience is relaxing, with little to do all day but swim, cruise around exploring the waterways, read, play games or take a nap. It's not a good choice for anyone who likes to be on the go all the time, but it's a nice change of pace if you want to slow down for a while.
Anytime is nice to be out in a California Delta houseboat, but the area is busiest June through August and packed over Fourth of July. The weather is best in September. For smooth water and less people, go in December or January.
If you've never houseboated before, read our novice's houseboating guide to learn more about it. Because the Delta is a network of intersecting waterways, it's not easy to navigate in. If you have trouble finding your way around with a map, either try a different location or plan to stick very close to your starting point. We like DeltaMaps' well-illustrated map better than the one you may get from the houseboat rental company, and recommend that you but it before you go - it will make your trip easier.
California Delta Houseboat Rental Facts
- You can rent a California Delta houseboat for 3 days, a week or longer.
- Seven Crown Resorts is the only company that still rents houseboats on the Delta. They're located at Paradise Point Marina. Their Summit model sleeps 10 inside. The roof is also a place for people to hang out, and some like to sleep up there, too. Nevertheless, a Lake Shasta houseboat vacation should only be taken with people you can get along with in close quarters.
- You'll get a houseboat equipped with a range, refrigerator, propane grill, kitchen utensils and dishes, a heater, and a bathroom
- Worried about safety? You might fall overboard, but a houseboat is supposedly almost impossible to sink.
California Delta Houseboat Rental Costs
- Rental rates vary by season. You'll pay the highest rates late May through August and less the rest of the year.
- Fuel is not included in the rental price, and neither are taxes. You should also look into insurance, find out what your home owner's insurance covers and budget for the rest.
- At first glance, a California Delta houseboat rental seems very expensive. Before you dismiss it, calculate the cost per person (or family) per night, taking into account that you will be cooking rather than eating out. You may be surprised how affordable it is.
- The average houseboat renter spends $60 per day or more for fuel.
- Expect to pay a deposit of several hundred dollars when you make a reservation, along with an extra damage deposit. The full rental fee will be due about 45 to 60 days before you arrive, and you must cancel at least 30 days in advance or you'll forfeit it all.