If you've been to Disneyland before, you know what to expect, but what you may not know is what's new since then. To help you keep up with the changes, we've compiled a list of new rides at Disneyland and California Adventure.
We know everyone doesn't go to Disneyland as often as we do, so you'll find what's new in the past five years below.
New at Disneyland in 2014
2014 will bring only minor changes and additions, as far as we know as of November 2014.
Not that it will affect most of us, but exclusive, members-only Club 33 will close on January 5 for a renovation and expansion.
After what seems like the longest refurbishment in Disneyland history, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is scheduled to reopen in "Winter 2014."
Longtime musical act Billy Hill and the Hillbillies' final day of performances at Disneyland park will be January 6, 2014.
New Disneyland Rides in 2013
No major updates were made at Disneyland and California Adventure in 2013.
Also in 2013, Fantasy Faire moved to a new home near Sleeping Beauty Castle, giving princesses and knights of all ages a role in a charming storytelling experience and a nicer place to meet and greet their favorite Disney princesses. An all-new show called Mickey and the Magical Map also opened at the Fantasyland Theatre.
New Disneyland Rides in 2012
The wait for Disney's Cars Land in California Adventure ended in 2012. This one is big, adding 12 acres to the park, which will make it roughly one-quarter bigger than it is now. As a big fan of Lightning McQueen, Mater and all the gang, we can barely wait. See photos of the new area and read more about it .
- Also at California Adventure, San Francisco chocolate-maker Ghirardelli opened a new soda fountain and chocolate shop.
- This is a small one, but for the first time in 20 years, you'll be hearing some new music as you enter Main Street U.S.A.
- Matterhorn Bobsleds is also getting new cars, with three seats per car, two of them linked together to accommodate 6 guests. And after a long hiatus, the mountain climbers are back.
Finally, updates to the Disneyland hotel are over, with new guest rooms, pool area and dining options.
New Disneyland Rides in 2011
- Star Tours converted to 3-D and set in the time period between the two Star Wars trilogies.
- Mickey's Soundsational Parade premiered in June, 2011. It's one of the best we've seen in years.
- New at California Adventure: Ariel's Undersea Adventure
- Old and New at California Adventure: Goofy's Sky School, the classic "mad mouse" roller coaster that opened as Mulholland Madness took on a flying academy theme with Goofy as the instructor.
- Construction for Cars Land at California Adventure continues, visible from many parts of the park, cool your engines for now - it won't be done until 2012.
Also in 2011, major renovation continues at the Disneyland Hotel, where all the rooms are being redone. They're also updating the existing pool and adding a new one, along with a new water play area, restaurant and bar.
New Disneyland Rides in 2010
- Orange Stinger (California Adventure) converted to Silly Symphony Swings
- World of Color at California Adventure, a nighttime water show
- Captain EO starring Michael Jackson returns, replacing Honey I Shrunk the Audience (at least temporarily).
Also in 2010, the Disneyland Hotel started getting a much-needed and extensive renovation. It will proceed floor by floor, reducing capacity - but will be well worth the inconvenience when it's finished. And in late 2010, Paradise Pier installs flat-panel televisions and embarks on an upgrade of their soft goods (bedding, carpet and the like).
More changes are afoot in California Adventure, including an entire new land themed from the Cars movie, but the most exciting are still a couple of years away from completion. Visit the website dedicated to the expansion to find our more.
New Disneyland Rides in 2009
- it's a small world renovated
- Tinkerbelle and Her Fairy Friends character greeting area near Tomorrowland, Disneyland
- New fireworks show, Disneyland
- Cinderella's Castle opens a new walk-through attraction
- California Adventure's Sun Wheel got a new Mickey face and a new name: Mickey's Fun Wheel, but is otherwise unchanged
- The Disney Gallery reopened in the Former Bank of Main Street building
- Space Mountain premeiered a new holiday light show
- Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln (gone since the 50th anniversary in 2005) returns to the Opera House in a newly refurbished version as part of The Disneyland Story
New Disneyland Rides in 2008
- Toy Story Mania!, California Adventure
- House of the Future at Innoventions
- Walk-through attraction at Sleeping Beauty Castle, Disneyland