Our readers like Disneyland in fall and 1 in 7 say they're going to visit after the kids go back to school. Attendance reaches its lowest levels on the second Tuesday of September and stays low until the third week of November, except over Columbus Day weekend (second Monday of October).
Two unofficial events draw crowds to Disneyland in Fall: Gay Days at Anaheim the first week of October.
The Disneyland Half Marathon draws crowds over the first weekend of September and even though the racers are out of the park before it opens, many of them hang around to enjoy it for the rest of day.
Reasons to Visit Disneyland in Fall
- After the kids go back to school and before the holiday decorations go up in October may be the best time to go to Disneyland, if you're looking for lighter crowds.
- Halloween (October 31) brings some great decorations. Take a look and find out about what's special at Disneyland for Halloween.
- It's also very busy for a day or two after the decorations go up in early November.
Reasons to Avoid Disneyland in Fall
- The first few days after Halloween decorations go up in the park, the crowds are bigger, sometimes near capacity.
- The three-day Labor Day weekend will be busy (first Monday in September).
- Years ago, Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday of November) was a great time to visit Disneyland, with very small crowds. Then word got out and now it's one of the busiest days of the year.
- Haunted Mansion closes in late September so it can be transformed into Haunted Mansion Holiday.
- it's a small world closes in early November so it can take on its holiday look.