In the United States, Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in June.
These ideas may help, whether you're planning a few hours or an entire weekend.
Family Get-Togethers for Father's Day in California
If Dad is the family get-together kinda guy, rent a vacation home and get the whole clan together, whether they're related to you by blood or just your closest friends. Try Pine Mountain Lake near Groveland and Yosemite National Park, Irish Beach just south of Mendocino, Dillon Beach north of San Francisco or visit HomeAway which has lots of listings all over the state, even in the cities.
Father's Day Weekend Getaways
If you can get away for a whole weekend to celebrate good ol' Da, these are a few of the best places to do it:
- Catalina Island: Whether Dad wants to be active or chill out, he'll find a place to do it here
- Morro Bay: It's one of California's most family-friendly destinations with lots of water activities, shopping - and reasonably-priced lodging
- Point Reyes and West Marin: A great getaway for an active family, with good hiking, beaches, kayaking and great scenery
- Santa Barbara: No matter how old you and your father are, you'll find something that suits you in Santa Barbara
- Yosemite: Voted one of the best places in California for family vacations by our readers
Taking Dad Out for a Father's Day Ride
Some dads are train buffs. How about a ride on one?
- Sierra Railroad: Oakdale
- Sacramento River Train: Near Sacramento
- Yosemite Train: Sugar Pine Railroad
- Skunk Train: Mendocino
- Napa Wine Train
Los Angeles, California Father's Day Weekend Ideas
- If you're looking for a family day out, try these ideas for LA family outings
Diver Dads and Ocean Lovers: The Aquarium of the Pacific is a great place to go. If Dad is a certified scuba diver, he can get into the aquarium exhibits along with the staff - or for those who'd rather keep their heads above water, try a shark encounter - it makes a great father-and-child experience, too.
Car Buffs: If your father likes cars, try the LA Roadsters hot rod show in Pomona, Petersen Automotive Museum or Rodeo Drive Concours d'Elegance.
Play Ball: The Los Angeles Dodgers host a Father's Day Catch, a fund chance to play catch on the field.
- Get Presidential: If Dad is a history buff or just a fan of "The Gipper," take him out to the Ronald Reagan Library.
San Diego, California Father's Day Weekend Ideas
- If you're looking for a family day out, try these ideas for San Diego family outing
Brewery Tour: For grown-up kids and their beer-loving dads, this is a fun way to spend a day. Find out more.
- Snooze at the Zoo: For a Father's Day you won't forget, the San Diego Zoo offers special Father's Day Campouts for fathers and their kids, aged four and older.
From LA or San Diego, you can head out to Victorville for the Huck Finn Jubilee.
San Francisco, California Father's Day Weekend Ideas
Take a Segway Tour: If everyone is more than 12 years old, the family can enjoy a Segway Human Transporter ride that's also a guided tour. Find out more.
Indulge the Inner Engineer: Mechanically-inclined fathers like the Cable Car Museum, a tour of City Hall or the California Academy of Sciences.
Disney Family Museum: If Dad's a baby-boomer who loves Disney, he might enjoy a trip to the Disney Family Museum.
Pirate Festival: The Northern California Pirate Festival happens in Vallejo.
- If you're looking for a family day out, try these ideas for San Francisco family outings