In the United States, Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May.
These ideas may help, whether you're planning a few hours or an entire weekend.
Family Get-Togethers for Mother's Day in California
In 2009, ABC News reported that more than anything else, mothers want to spend time with their families on Mother's Day. Give Mom what she wants - rent a vacation home and get the whole clan together, whether they're related to you by blood or just your closest friends. Try Pine Mountain Lake near Groveland and Yosemite National Park, Irish Beach just south of Mendocino, Dillon Beach north of San Francisco or visit HomeAway which has lots of listings all over the state, even in the cities.
Mother's Day Weekend Getaways
If you can get away for a whole weekend to celebrate your lovely mother, these are a few of the best places to do it:
- Calistoga: Napa Valley Wine Country's northernmost town has great mud bath spas - and kid-friendly sights nearby
- Catalina Island: Whether Mom wants to be active or chill out, she'll find a place to do it here
- Gold Country: Kids love to pan for gold while their moms of any age enjoy the old-fashioned ambiance of Gold Country's towns
- Morro Bay: It's one of California's most family-friendly destinations with lots of water activities, shopping - and reasonably-priced lodging
- Point Reyes and West Marin: A great getaway for an active family, with good hiking, beaches, kayaking and great scenery
- Santa Barbara: No matter how old you and your mother are, you'll find something that suits you in Santa Barbara
- Yosemite: Voted one of the best places in California for family vacations by our readers, it's also a good place for Mother's Day Brunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel
Taking Mom Out for a Mother's Day MealMother's Day is one of the busiest restaurant days of the year and all too often, service and food quality suffer. Take Mom out on Saturday if you can - or find something else to do instead.
A champagne brunch cruise may be a good option if you're determined to take your mother out for a Mother's Day Brunch. They're used to handling big groups, they have some room for little ones to move around - and the views are great. These links will take you straight to reservations:
Los Angeles, California Mother's Day Weekend Ideas
- Huntington Gardens, Pasadena: It's not the only nice garden in the area, but they have lots of things to see, a lovely children's garden and a nice afternoon tea (reservations required). Check their website for more information
- If you're looking for a family day out, try these ideas for LA family outings
Check Open Table: for Mother's Day brunch specials
Poppies in Antelope Valley: Mother's Day happens near the end of Spring, but in some years, the poppies in Antelope Valley hold off until early May to show their stuff. Any flower-loving mom would enjoy this one.
- Mother's Day in Los Angeles: A roundup of some great things to do (besides eat)
San Diego, California Mother's Day Weekend Ideas
- If you're looking for a family day out, try these ideas for San Diego family outings
- Check Open Table: for Mother's Day brunch specials
Mother's Day in San Diego: A nice selection of places to go, from a local resident.
San Francisco, California Mother's Day Weekend Ideas
- Eleven Roses Ranch: It's a bit of a drive up to their location near Clear Lake, but well worth it for a fun day outdoors with a wagon ride and meal at a historic ranch
- Check Open Table for Mother's Day brunch specials
- Head up to Calistoga for a house tour like no other we've seen. You'll have do it on a Saturday, but it's worth celebrating a day early when artist Carlo Marchiori opens his Villa Ca'Toga to the public. Add a relaxing mud bath spa treatment or lunch downtown and you've got a great day.
- If you're looking for a family day out, try these ideas for San Francisco family outings