- Hours: Closed Tuesdays, Jan 1, Jul 4, Thanksgiving1, Dec 25. Closed some Wednesdays in summer to set up for their outdoor theatre program.
- Cost and Reservations: Free admission, parking fee (cash)
- Location: Pacific Coast Highway, west of Santa Monica.
- How Long: At least four hours; longer is better
- Best Time to Visit: Any time, but gardens are best in spring and summer
One of America's finest holdings of ancient Greek, Roman and Etruscan art, the Getty Villa features an impressive antiquities collection. Housed in a recreated ancient Roman country house, the Getty Villa offers a taste of first century A.D. life.
The reservation system keeps the Getty Villa uncrowded. Get close to displays and enjoy them as long as you like.
Antiquity-lovers like this museum, but the building is also worth a visit and a great way to enjoy Roman architecture.
Getty Villa Planning Tips
- Make parking reservations online, print your pass and take it with you
- The Villa is magically quiet shortly before the official opening time. Reserve the earliest time of the day, arrive a half hour or so early and enjoy the grounds
- The only way to get into the Villa property is to drive in, use public transport, taxi or have someone drop you off at the Getty Villa. You also need an advance reservation (free online a their site) to visit.
- Vehicles over 6'10" high and standard car length/width aren't allowed. If yours is bigger, see more info on their website
- Getty Villa often releases a few last-minute tickets online at 9:00 a.m. Print your own same-day admission pass
- You can take photographs for personal use only, no tripods or flashes
Getty Villa for Families
- The GettyGuide Audio Player's family tours help bring ancient art and culture alive
- When they're offered, try a one-hour guided family tour (age 5 and up). Sign up at the Tour Meeting Place
- Pick up children's activity guides near the entrance
- Check the Family Forum for things to do
- Kids like the Outer Peristyle's reflecting pool and fanciful animal paintings.
- Child-carrying backpacks can't go into the galleries
- Food and drink (except for baby bottles) can't go into the galleries
More About Getty Villa
- Getty Villa Photo Tour: Find out what there is to see at the Getty Villa.
- Getting to the Getty Villa: Print a handy map to help you find your way to the Getty Villa and get directions for getting there, using public transportation or on your own.
- Getty Villa Take-Along Guide: Print this guide to help make the most of your visit.
1 Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November.