- Hours: Open daily except December 25
- Cost: Admission fee
- Location: Griffith Park, directions below
- How Long: Allow a few hours minimum
- Best Time to Visit: Weekdays are less crowded, especially during the school year
Los Angeles Zoo ReviewWe applaud the Los Angeles Zoo for their conservation activities, especially their work to save the California Condor and return it to the wild.
Pros: Admission fee lower than many area animal attractions and zoos, new areas are well-done and more are on the way, including include Camp Gorilla Reserve, a golden monkey exhibit and a rain forest.
Cons: The Los Angeles Zoo has a higher percentage of old-fashioned enclosures than more modern zoos and some may find that uncomfortable.
Tips for Visiting the Los Angeles Zoo
- The Los Angeles Zoo sprawls over 113 acres of hills, making a random walk exhausting, especially if you want to see all the animals. Grab a zoo map and use it to prevent backtracking.
- Check the schedule for shows and animal feeding times when you arrive to be sure you don't miss something.
- If you're not up to all the walking, just a short distance from the entrance, you can catch the zoo shuttle - for a small extra fee you can ride it all day.
- Most of the Los Angeles Zoo is shady, but it can get hot in summer.
- Going more than once in the same year? Pay your admission fee the first time, then upgrade to a Los Angeles Zoo family membership inside and you'll save money.
- If the kids need to work off some excess energy, head for the Play Park, where you'll find a nice playground area.
- Look on the back of your Los Angeles Zoo map for information about the mobile phone audio tour. It's a great idea, but poor reception hampered our use of it. You can save minutes and frustration if you download it from the zoo website before you leave home.
- If you're also visiting the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, check out the aquarium's combo ticket. Find out more about the aquarium here.
- If you plan to visit other LA area attractions, you may save money with the Go Los Angeles Card. Use this handy guide to find out all you need to know about it.
Los Angeles Zoo Location and HoursLos Angeles Zoo
5333 Zoo Drive
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles Zoo website
The Los Angeles Zoo is located across from the Autry Museum of Western Heritage. Exits from nearby freeways and city streets are well marked.