About Dockweiler Beach:
Dockweiler Beach is three-mile-long section of Los Angeles shoreline that's seldom crowded. A west-facing beach, Dockweiler is the only place in Los Angeles County where you can have a bonfire and it has the only beachfront RV park as well. Although it's in the middle of the city, this piece of sand is not surrounded by buildings and houses.
Dockweiler Beach Fees
Entrance Fee: Fee charged. Dockweiler Beach is a state park, but it does not accept the Annual Day Use Pass.
Parking Fee: Park at the curb along Vista Del Mar or enter the lot for paid parking (2,080 spaces).
Creature Comforts at Dockweiler Beach:
- Picnic areas
- No alcohol
- No pets allowed, except on leash in the RV parking area
Dockweiler Beach Activities:
- Bike path
- Walking path
- Swimming, lifeguard during daylight hours
- Fire rings
- Bicycle and skate rentals
- Windsports Soaring Center holds public hang-gliding lessons at Dockweiler Beach
Lodging Near Dockweiler Beach:
- Dockweiler RV Park: reserve up to three months in advance by calling (800) 950-7275 or (310) 322-4951
- Tent camping is not allowed
Highs and Lows at Dockweiler Beach:
- Because of its location immediately west of the LAX runway, the roar of jets can be quite loud. After you've been there a while, you adjust and it becomes less noticeable.
- The water at Dockweiler Beach can be pretty dirty, but that's not a problem if all you want to do here is walk or sunbathe. Don't be put off by the black sand, though. It's minerals, not tar.
- Tankers can often be seen moored off the coast near Dockweiler Beach. You may or may not consider them an eyesore.
Dockweiler Beach Events:
- Every July 4, the bike path is closed as workers prepare for Los Angeles' big fireworks display.
If you plan to swim, pay attention to where the rock jetties and wave-breakers are. When the surf is strong, the current can pull you into them.
Heal the Bay's ratings of Dockweiler Beach vary from A+ to F, depending on conditions. Check current conditions.
Poll: What is Dockweiler Beach Best For?
- Scuba Diving
- Beach Volleyball
- Bicycle Riding
- Wildlife-Watching, tide pooling