About Muir Beach
Part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Muir Beach is the southernmost beach in Marin County, above the Marin Headlands. It sits in the town of Muir Beach, just off CA Hwy 1.
Muir Beach Fees
- Entrance Fee: None
Parking Fee: None
Creature Comforts at Muir Beach
No glass bottles are allowed on the beach. Bring drinks in plastic or transfer it before you get there.
- Vault toilets in the parking area
- Picnic tables, but not on the beach
- Food nearby at the Pelican Inn
- Pets allowed on trails only, and must be on a leash
Muir Beach Activities
- Bonfires in provided fire rings, but bring your own wood
- Swimming is not advised because of dangerous currents. No lifeguards.
Highs and Lows at Muir Beach
- Pretty setting, but the beach is small and can get crowded
- Few amenities nearby
You'll find not only itch-provoking poison oak along the path, but also stinging nettle. Wear long pants and watch where you're stepping.
Part of Muir Beach is a popular clothing-optional beach.
How to Get to Muir Beach
Map and driving directions. Parking is free, but the lot is usually full before noon on weekends
More Marin County Beaches