Pebble Beach has been a tourist destination since the early twentieth century, when coastal lots cost as little $500 and visitors arrived in horse-drawn buggies. Its reputation for outstanding natural beauty and elegance is unparalleled.
Why Should You Go? Will You Like Pebble Beach?
- Pebble Beach is popular with golfers and others who want to relax while surrounded by beautiful scenery.
- It's a great place for a relaxing or romantic getaway, a fine meal or just a beautiful drive
- If your idea of dressed-up is a faded souvenir t-shirt, frayed shorts and flip-flops, this may not be the place for you.
Best Time to Go to Pebble Beach
Weather is best in spring and fall, with the best chance for clear skies. Like much of the California coast, Pebble Beach is likely to be foggy in summer. The misty fog lends an air of mystery but might dash your hopes of a sun-drenched golf game.
During big events like the ones listed below, hotels may sell out and things can get crowded. Unless you're attending those events, you'll be better off to go some other time.
If you just want to take a day trip through Pebble Beach, the 17-Mile Drive is the way to do it.
If you're staying in one of the Pebble Beach Resort hotels, take advantage of their two-hour Lexus Driving Experience to do it in style.
More Great Things to Do in Pebble Beach
Most of the things to do around Pebble Beach center on the water.
- Take a walk. Oceanfront paths run along many sections of the coastline. The trail that runs from the Inn at Spanish Bay to Bird Rock is especially scenic.
- The Pebble Beach Spa offers a nice range of treatments and you can stay as long as you want afterward to enjoy the Jacuzzi, sauna, steam and inhalation rooms. To connect with your surroundings, try their signature Lasapa Lelima treatment, a cleansing/bathing ceremony inspired by the native Esselen people.
Golf courses at Pebble Beach include the Pebble Beach Golf Links, rated one of the country's best public courses, along with three other outstanding links. You can also take advantage of their Golf Academy lessons and classes to improve your game. Resort guests can reserve tee times ahead of time, but drop-ins can only do it 24 hours in advance.
Pebble Beach Equestrian Center offers daily trail rides (reservations required).
- A sunny afternoon is an especially nice time to enjoy the outdoor patio at the Inn at Spanish Bay. Arrive in the late afternoon and linger until the strolling bagpiper has blown his last note.
Annual Events You Should Know About
Pebble Beach Pro-Am Golf Tournament is held annually in February. With its combination of great golfers and popular celebrity participants, it draws large crowds.
U.S. Open golf tournament is held at Pebble beach periodically. It's scheduled there in 2019.
Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Every August, this event features classic automobiles such as Bentley and Bugatti, displayed on the lawn of the main lodge, along with concept cars and high-end luxury autos.
- Food and Wine Festival occurs in April. Rock star chefs, respected winemakers and lots of food-loving fans get together for this event, which I think is the best of its kind in the state.
Where to Stay in Pebble Beach
You could stay somewhere nearby and drive in, but if you're spending the weekend at Pebble Beach, you really need to stay put and let it all sink in. You'll find all your options - at Pebble Beach and in the nearby area - in the Monterey Area Lodging Guide.
We rate Pebble Beach 4.5 out of 5 for natural beauty, ambiance and high-quality lodging and dining. The only downside is price: those on a limited budget are likely limited to a drive through and a picnic at the beach.