The Bottom Line
Vagabond's House is a comfortable, conveniently located, pet-friendly place to stay in Carmel.
- Great location just a couple of blocks from town with free, off-street parking
- Pet friendly (extra per-day fee)
- Wireless Internet signal fluctuates and drops out
- 4th and Dolores
800-262-1262, 831-624-7738 831-626-1243 fax
- 11 rooms
- Complimentary continental breakfast delivered to your room; evening wine and cheese, sherry in each room
- Wood-burning fireplaces
- Free wireless Internet
- One night deposit required. Two-night minimum on weekends. Rates are lower November through March.
- Pet-friendly, daily fee per pet, which is about 20% of the room rate
- According to their website: "Accommodations are suitable for children over 8."
Guide Review - Vagabond's House Inn
Located just a few blocks from Carmel's main street, Vagabond's House Inn is a small property with a friendly, helpful staff. Rooms face a pretty courtyard centered with a large tree and surrounded by plants and flowers. Rooms are old-fashioned but cozy with a few modern touches.
The hotel's location is very quiet and we enjoyed hearing the little waterfall in the garden outside our door. However, light sleepers may want to ask for a room upstairs.
Continental breakfast delivered to your room includes cereal, fruit, toast, juices, coffee and tea. Many rooms have a table by the window so you can enjoy courtyard views while you eat.
In the lobby, you'll find the owner's collection of antique toys and memorabilia that include a brigade of toy soldiers, an arsenal of toy guns and more fun stuff.
We suggest that you bring your luggage in before you park your car - the hill coming up from the parking lot is very steep.
If you're going to Carmel to get away from it all, this won't matter, but if you need to stay connected, Vagabond's House is not for you. Some of the rooms have no desk, but even worse, their wireless Internet is unreliable and went off completely after 9:00 p.m.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary accommodation for the purpose of reviewing it. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.