Knotts Berry Farm Haunt
- Hours: Wednesday through Sunday, late September through October
- Cost: Separate admission fee. Extra parking fee
- Location: Buena Park
- How Long: About 3 to 4 hours
- Best Time to Visit: Knotts Berry Farm Haunt is busy throughout the run, but weekdays during the first weeks are your best bet
- Knotts Berry Farm Haunt Website
- More: Visiting Knotts Berry Farm
What to Expect at Knotts Berry Farm HauntMany of the regular Knotts rides are open and they're fun to enjoy in the dark. Besides that, you'll find a lot of shows to choose from and should check the schedule when you arrive.
In 2012 (its 40th season), Knotts Berry Farm Haunt added 4 new mazes and an up-charge VIP maze that Brady MacDonald of the LA Times thinks "will substantially increase the scare-quotient from years past." Besides those, the Knotts Berry Farm Haunt experience includes 8 mazes from last year, four scare zones and 7 shows, each with its own creepy theme. You'll find some blood and gore here, but also some old-fashioned, fun- house-style effects.
Some parts of the park are designated "Scare Zones" with theatrical fog creating a mysterious atmosphere and costumed monsters popping up when you least expect it. If you scream or run, they'll follow, but if you stand your ground and talk to them, they'll talk back and pose for photographs.
Rating Knotts Berry Farm HauntThe long lines and crowds we experienced during its first week tell us that lots of people like Knotts Berry Farm Haunt. Some may think it's a little too tame or corny, but compared to Universal, we enjoyed the less-threatening atmosphere and had a lot more fun with the cast.
The crowd is mostly made up of young adults and Knotts Berry Farm Haunt is not recommended for anyone under 13 years old. This 50-something travel writer enjoyed it and had fun messing with the cast, snarling back or remaining poker-faced when they appeared.
If you like your Halloween fun a bit on the old-fashioned side, Knotts Berry Farm Haunt may be the best place for you. Judging from the number of young ladies we saw clinging tightly to their male companions, it's also a good place to take a date.
For kids aged 3 to 11, Knotts offers Camp Spooky Treasure Hunt during the day. It's designed to be fun and not frightening.
Tips for Knotts Berry Farm Haunt
- If you buy Knotts Berry Farm Haunt tickets in advance online, you can avoid waiting in line and save money, over $22 even if your order the same day and more if you buy 3 days in advance. However, they say the event seldom sells out and tickets are still available most evenings at opening time.
- Add-ons include a Fast Lane pass good for all day and night, a Fright Lane Pass for front-of-the-line access. If you love their fried chicken, you can also get a "Pre-Scare Boo-fet" at Mrs. Knotts restaurant and a reservation time for the "Trapped" maze for up to 6 people costs extra.
- The characters are scary enough, so you don't need to be. No costumes are allowed.
- Unlike daytime policy, no re-entry is allowed for Knotts Scary Farm, so be sure you've got everything you need before you go in.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary tickets for the purpose of reviewing Knotts Berry Farm Haunt. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.