The Bottom Line
Orange County Register readers voted Casa Laguna Inn "Best in Orange County" for nine years straight, and its reputation is well deserved. Its location is superb, the staff attentive and its lowest-priced rooms are an excellent value for the money, especially given the quality of their breakfasts.
- Beautiful location above the ocean
- Comfortable, clean
- Exceptionally friendly, helpful staff get our highest rating
- Very intimate and romantic
- Too far from town to walk
- 2510 South Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, CA 95261
- 22 rooms include suites and other rooms with ocean or courtyard views and balconies. Some have whirlpool tubs or fireplaces.
- Complimentary full breakfast, served on the patio or in the dining room. Daily afternoon snacks and wine.
- Free high speed Internet. Wireless is available, but weak in some areas. Bring your network cable just in case.
- Spa on premises
- Well-behaved, healthy pets are welcome with a reasonable nightly surcharge
- The Casa Laguna says its historic property is not suitable for guests under 16 years of age
Guide Review - Casa Laguna Inn
Built in the 1920s as an artists' refuge, the Casa Laguna Inn is as pretty as any painting those early residents ever created. The architecture is called "mission revival" which loosely translated means it has a lot of white walls and red-tiled roofs. Charming touches are retained, but rooms are comfortable by modern standards.
To tell you how much I liked the Casa Laguna, I have to tell you this: A travel writer's life isn't as glamorous as you may think. We dash around all day, spending half as much time in a place as you would while trying to get twice as much out of it. We check into places like the Casa Laguna after dark and out again before breakfast is served. Casa Laguna is different - so appealing that it nearly stopped me in my tracks. Its a wonder I finished the Laguna Beach getaway article at all.
Rooms at the Casa Laguna vary and not all have balconies, but the place is loaded with pretty places to sit outside, and even though it's on the landward side of the main road, the slope of the hillside makes it seem like you're right above the beach. The pool is heated (nice on a cool California evening). The breakfast menu features a nice selection of cooked items, a cut above what you get in many places, and eating it outside on the patio gets any day off on the right note.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary services for review purposes. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our Ethics Policy.