The Bottom Line
With lots of privacy and places to relax, this is the perfect place to recharge for a few days.
- Everything you need in one place (lodging, restaurant, spa)
- Relaxing atmosphere
- Natural hot springs that don't smell like sulfur
- Lots of privacy
- Spa offers great treatments but needs renovation
- Restaurant is somewhat expensive
- 67425 Two Bunch Palms Trail
Desert Hot Springs, CA
- 52 rooms and suites
Local hotel tax is 12%
- Adults only resort, no one under 18 is admitted.
- More than 40 spa treatments, natural mineral pools. Bicycles available, two tennis courts.
- Complimentary breakfast. On-premises restaurant.
- Discreet nude sunbathing enclosures (but this is not a clothing-optional resort)
- 3-day cancellation (10% fee). One night deposit taken when reserving.
- Tripadvisor reviews
Guide Review - Two Bunch Palms Resort
The story is unclear, but legend says gangster Al Capone built Two Bunch Palms' first structures, using it as "Fortress West." What's more clear is that today's resort grew up around the oasis in stages. Today, there are 52 rooms and suites on the property, spread over spacious grounds.
Two Bunch Palms is best for something most of us seldom find time for: doing nothing. It's a place where you can really turn off and relax. Their knitted bathrobes are so comfortable that people wear them everywhere, even to dinner, and they're generous enough to modestly cover even my ample figure.
If you're a more active type, you'll find tennis courts, hiking trails and bicycles to ride.
Lodging at Two Bunch spreads over a collection of buildings of varying ages. The villa I stayed was renovated as much as possible without tearing out the walls. It's a good start, but the flat-screen televisions and marble floors made the Formica bathroom countertop and 1960s-style shower enclosure seem especially outdated.
Nevertheless, the room was clean and comfortable. If you've heard of the 80/20 rule, it applies here. You can get 80% of what the expensive southern California resorts offer for 20% of the price.
If you're thinking of getting a spa treatment, read our review.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary accommodation at Two Bunch Palms for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.