About Oceano Dunes Beach:
Oceano Dunes Beach is one of the most popular in the state of California, with towering sand dunes that are very popular with off-roaders. It's also the only beach in the state where you can drive vehicles on the beach.
Oceano Dunes Beach Fees:
Entrance Fee charged, open for day use 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Creature Comforts at Oceano Dunes Beach:
Oceano Dunes Beach Activities:
- Off-roading in the dunes
- Surf fishing
- Kite surfing
- Bird watching
- Swimming (lifeguards on duty June through Labor Day1)
- Horseback riding (bring your own or rent from the stables at Pacific Dunes RV Park.
Lodging Near Oceano Dunes Beach:
Highs and Lows at Oceano Dunes Beach:
- This beach is the nesting place for the snowy plover. Some areas are closed from March through October while they're nesting. However, bird watchers may be frustrated by all the ruckus created by the ATVs.
- It's easy to get stuck in the sand. Passenger cars should stay on the north end of the beach. If you get stuck, call Steve's Towing at 805-474-6435.
- The surf at Oceano Beach is prone to rip currents, which can drag unwitting swimmers out to sea.
- 9,000 years ago, the Chumash Indians called this place pismu (their word for tar), so don't be surprised if you find some on the beach.
How to Get to Oceano Dunes Beach:
1 Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday in September.