About Ocean Beach Dog Beach:
Ocean Beach Dog Beach is open to canines any time. This small beach has plenty of sand for the dogs to run on, and waves for them to run through. On weekends there can be up to 100 dogs here, so be sure you can control your dog, use a muzzle if there's any chance of trouble and keep vaccinations up to date.
Bring along your dog's favorite outdoor toys, and to keep the sand from getting full of unpleasant surprises, bring something to clean up with. Not only is it polite, it's the law.
Ocean Beach Dog Beach Fees:
Entrance Fee: None
Parking Fee: None
Human Creature Comforts at Ocean Beach Dog Beach:
- Picnic tables
- Summer lifegaurd service
- The paved walking path is accessible to anyone
- Consumption of alcohol is permitted on the beach from 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m., but prohibited at all times in parking lots, adjacent walkways, and grassy parks adjacent to the beach.
Ocean Beach Dog Beach Activities:
Activities at Ocean Beach Dog Beach center around the canine set. Bring a ball or a frisbee for your dog to run after. Many visitors bring their beach chairs and settle in, talking to other dog owners and watching their animals enjoy themselves. For a more sedate time, you can also walk with your pet along the paved path that runs beside the water.
Highs and Lows at Ocean Beach Dog Beach:
- Dogs are allowed to run free on the beach, but must be leashed as you take them to and from your car.
- Unfortunately, your fellow dog owners don't always clean up after their pets. Watch where you step.
- In summer, San Diego beaches are subject to red tides.
It's just as well that this part of Ocean Beach is set aside for the dogs. Dangerous rip tides make it unsafe to swim here.
How to Get to Ocean Beach Dog Beach:
To reach Ocean Beach Dog Beach, take I-8 west toward The Beaches. Where I-8 ends, turn left onto Sunset Cliffs Boulevard, then bear right staying on Sunset Cliffs toward the town of Ocean Beach. Turn right onto Point Loma. The entrance to the Dog Beach is the first turn on the right.