The following pages will give you an idea of what each part of the city is like, with the pros and cons of staying there. Browse around and once you find an area you like, you can go to our lists of the best hotels in that area.
Tips About Where to Stay
- San Diego attractions are spread out and no place you pick will be close to all of them.
- In general, the further you get away from downtown, the cheaper, but this rule breaks down when you get to La Jolla.
- Big conventions can suck up every available room downtown. Try Mission Bay or Hotel Circle when this happens.
- Learn about hidden hotel costs and how to avoid them
- Be sure you think about all the costs of staying in San Diego, including parking fees, transportation and the intangibles of convenience and comfort.