What to Expect from San Diego in July
June Gloom can persist into the first few weeks of July. Evening fog comes in suddenly and can feel especially cold.
More About: San Diego in the Summer
San Diego Weather in July
Average High Temperature: 75°F/24°C
Average Low Temperature: 65°F/18°C
Rain & Clouds Index: 0.03 inches (0.1 cm) rain, 68% sunshine
What Pack, What to Wear in July
Pack a mid-weight jacket, especially for evening near the water. Bring short-sleeved shirts and lightweight pants, with a sweater for layering and shorts for the warmest days.
San Diego July Events
- July 4 in San Diego: Fireworks shows and other ways to celebrate Independence Day in San Diego
- Comic Con: The largest comic book and pop culture convention in the world.
- Imperial Beach Sandcastle Competition: The official U.S. Open Sandcastle Competition is held in Imperial Beach every July.
- Del Mar Races: Thoroughbred horse racing since 1937.
- Humphreys by the Bay Concerts: A fun outdoor summer concert series held on Shelter Island from June through mid-October.
- Old Globe Theatre: Mid-June through late September, they stage outdoor Shakespeare productions in a reproduction of his original Globe Theatre.
- San Diego LGBT Pride: A festival and parade whose aim is "fostering pride in and respect for all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities."
Especially Fun in JulySan Diego's warm summers make it a great place for outdoor activities in the evening. Get some ideas here.
July is a good month to check out some of San Diego's best beaches. June through October is the tuna sport-fishing season.
On Saturdays in July and August, the San Diego Zoo offers special overnight campouts at the zoo. Most are geared toward families, but one weekend is an all-adult version.
March through August is time for a uniquely California event, the annual grunion run, when thousands of tiny, silvery fish mate by the light of the full moon (or the new one). See the schedule. The best San Diego beaches to see the show are La Jolla Shores, Pacific Beach between Tourmaline Park and Lifeguard Tower 20, Mission Beach between Lifeguard Towers 19 and 10, Ocean Beach between Mission Bay Channel and the Ocean Beach Pier and on Coronado between the Hotel del Coronado and Dog Beach.