What to Expect from San Diego in September
September continues San Diego's best weather, warm but with little chance of rain, clear days and little fog.
More About: San Diego in the Fall
San Diego Weather in September
Average High Temperature: 76°F/24°C
Average Low Temperature: 65°F/18°C
Rain & Clouds Index: 0.15 inches (0.4 cm) rain, 69% sunshine
What to Pack, What to Wear in September
Pack a mid-weight jacket, especially for evening near the water. Bring short-sleeved shirts and lightweight pants, with a sweater for layering, but you'll find less need shorts than earlier in the year.
San Diego September Events
- Fleet Week San Diego: Held annually in September and October, this celebration of San Diego's military service men and women includes concerts, parades and a big air show.
- Del Mar Races: Thoroughbred horse racing since 1937, lots of fun and your admission price includes weekend concerts.
- Humphreys by the Bay Concerts: A fun outdoor summer concert series held on Shelter Island from June through mid-October.
- Old Globe Theatre: Mid-June through late September, they stage outdoor Shakespeare productions in a reproduction of his original Globe Theatre.
- Restaurant Week: January and September are great months to sample some of the city's nicest restaurants, with special tasting menus and prices.
Especially Fun in SeptemberSan Diego's best surf season is August through November and June through October is the tuna sport-fishing season.
Averages and Reality
The weather information we've given above is best used as a general idea of what things may be like. The only rain all summer could fall on your perfect picnic or a winter day could be so warm you'll wish you packed your shorts.
Averages are helpful for planning ahead, but don't count on your trip being "average." Check the San Diego weather forecast before you leave home.