You can plan your San Francisco weekend getaway in a jiffy using the resources below.
Why Should You Go? Will You Like San Francisco?
- Get a Preview: Take a look at our Pictures of San Francisco's Iconic Sights
- San Francisco is popular with almost everyone.
- See how other California for Visitors readers rate San Francisco
Best Time to Go to San FranciscoSan Francisco weather is best in spring and fall. The most popular time is summer, but many first-timers don't realize that San Francisco's legendary fog is also a summer visitor, keeping skies overcast and nights cold. Winter is clearer, except when it rains.
Don't MissIf you've only got a day in San Francisco, see our one day guide for some great ideas.
5 More Great Things to Do in San Francisco
- Bay Cruise: The "standard" trip is fun, but we've got the inside scoop on the best bay cruise in town.
- Crissy Field Walk: As far as we're concerned, this is the best urban walk in the world.
- Ferry Building Marketplace: A great place to graze on local artisan foods, pick up a meal or a great cup of coffee (Blue Bottle).
- Golden Gate Park: One of the great urban parks, with museums, walking trails and lots more.
- 49-Mile Drive: Our guide hits all the interesting spots, skips the boring ones and turns the 49-Mile Drive into something more like a 20-mile drive, but we won't tell anyone if you don't.
Isn't It Romantic?If your intentions are amorous, we've got the spots for it.
Annual Events You Should Know About
Tips for Visiting San Francisco
- San Francisco is compact, despite its big reputation and you don't really need a car to get around.
- We know it's popular, but we don't recommend spending too much time at Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. They're crowded, tarted up for tourists and are nothing like the rest of this fascinating city.
Best BitesIt's your first time in San Francisco and you may be tempted to head for the places you've heard about or try one of the restaurants at Fisherman's Wharf. For a more fun experience, better food and a taste of local life, try the French toast at Mama's at the corner of Stockton and Filbert for breakfast. A recent find is the Gospel Sunday Brunch at 1300 Fillmore, with great jazz and gospel music - and even finer cuisine, a Jamaican-influenced take on an old-fashioned Sunday dinner.
Where to StayUse our step by step guide to find the best place to stay.
For help getting the best possible deal, read about how to find a good place to stay, cheap.