Whether you're visiting San Francisco or live in the area, these are great things to do with the kids.
Things to Do with Kids North of San Francisco
- Bay Area Discovery Museum: For children ages 1-10 and their families. Near Sausalito.
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: This theme park has lots of big rides. Vallejo.
- Things to do with Kids in Napa
- Jelly Belly Factory Tour: Few kids (or adults, for that matter) can resist learning how these flavorful candies are made.
- Safari West: It's almost like being on safari for a few hours when you take their tour.
Things to Do With Kids South of San Francisco
- San Jose Children's Discovery Museum: Kid-tested and approved by my niece. I had a good time too!
- Winchester Mystery House: A monument to what someone can do if they have too much money. Doors leading to nowhere, windows with walls behind them, and on and on and on. San Jose.
- Great America: Paramount's theme park. Santa Clara.
- Mystery Spot: Worth a stop if you're in the area, this weird attraction will keep you thinking. Santa Cruz.
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: With a famous antique 1924 wooden roller coaster, this is one of the few remaining oceanside amusement parks. Santa Cruz.
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Fun for all ages. They make a special effort to have kids' activities associated with their exhibits, and little ones love hugging the human-in-an-otter-suit. Monterey.
- Gilroy Gardens: An agricultural-themed park that's best for younger children and/or garden lovers. Near Gilroy, south of San Jose.