In addition to the things you might associate with rainy days, like museums, here are some things to do when it's raining in San Francisco:
- Go on a Pub Crawl - Visit one or two of San Francisco's microbreweries. Use a designated driver, take public transportation or call a taxi.
- Irish Coffee at Buena Vista Cafe - The first place in America to serve this warm, alcoholic concoction is still going strong, and all that hot coffee and alcohol are pitch-perfect for a rainy day.
- Go on an Indoor Tour - City Guides offers some indoor guided tours. Go behind the scenes at the Palace Hotel, see the upstairs murals at Coit Tower, or visit the San Francisco Fire Department Museum.
- Browse for Books - The concept may seem a little old-fashioned if you're doing all your reading on a mobile device these days, but City Lights Bookstore is a true book-lover's bookstore. Stop next door at Vesuvio Cafe, a remainder of the Beat era.
- Take Some Photos - It's not as crazy as it sounds. Rainy days can offer the photographer some interesting shots. Try a black-and-white photo of the skyline from the end of Pier 7. Focus on details. Look for reflections in puddles.
- Learn How Things are Made - Just across the Bay Bridge in Berkeley, you can learn how sake is made at Takara Sake. A drive north takes you to the Jelly Belly Factory.