Free AttractionsOf all the most popular places to visit in California, San Francisco has more top sights that have no admission charge than anywhere else. Out of our list of top sights, a visit to Chinatown, a trip down "crookedest" Lombard Street, a walk in Golden Gate Park or across the Golden Gate Bridge, a stroll along the waterfront to see Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf and a drive on the 49-Mile Drive are all free.
A walk along the waterfront is always free, too, and so are these attractions:
- City Guides: Daily tours at locations around the city
Free Museum AdmissionsMany of the city's museums offer free admission one day per month, usually the first Tuesday or Wednesday and some Sundays. They include:
- Asian Art Museum
- California Academy of Sciences
- Museo Italo Americano
- Legion of Honor
- A complete list is here
Admission is always free at:
- Golden Gate Park Band Concerts: Concerts Every Sunday April through October
- San Francisco Mime Troupe: They're a Tony Award-winning company who perform free shows in city parks and indoor venues
- San Francisco Shakespeare Festival: Free performances in area parks, all summer
- Stern Grove Concerts: Free outdoor concerts on summer Sundays
Reader's FavoritesWhat is your favorite thing to do for free in San Francisco?
Top Things to Do in San Francisco | More Great Things to Do in San Francisco | Things to Do On a Rainy Day in San Francisco | Things to Do at Night In San Francisco | Best San Francisco Experiences | Things to Do on a Summer Night in San Francisco