The Bottom Line
Although it's close to the city across the Bay, Cavallo Point will give maximum enjoyment if you think of it as a destination that you stay put in for a relaxing getaway.
- Outstanding views of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco skyline
- Ultra-stylish and environmentally sensitive design
- Restaurant and bar on premises
- Close to San Francisco yet with a remote, peaceful ambiance
- Extra-soft sheets and comfortable beds
- Valet parking adds a wait if you want to go somewhere
- Located north of the Golden Gate Bridge, toll required to get into the city
- During our visit, the restaurant's food and service was very uneven
- 601 Murray Circle
Phone: 888-651-2003, 415-339-4700, 415-339-4792 fax
Cavallo Point Lodge website
- 68 rooms in historic buildings and 74 contemporary-style rooms. Views vary and are described on their website.
- Complimentary wireless Internet access
- Gas fireplaces and ceiling fans, but no air conditioning (which is not normally needed)
- 100% non-smoking
- Our visit was excellent, but others report service problems. Check current visitor reviews for the latest situation.
Guide Review - Cavallo Point: The Lodge at the Golden Gate
We stayed in one of the newer rooms about a month after the property opened and are still raving about it to anyone who will listen. The first words we say are "the views..." - so gorgeous that we couldn't bear to close the curtains.
Besides storing those views as visual memories to sustain you on a stressful day, you can take a hike in the surrounding hills, go bicycle riding or kayak in the bay, or visit the on-premises spa. They also offer weekend workshops and classes.
Acclaimed chef Joseph Humphrey is creating an innovative menu at Murray's Circle restaurant, which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. However, we feel he hasn't hit his stride yet and service was also uneven and at times maddeningly slow and inattentive. Based on our dining experience when Humphrey was at Meadowood, we expect this situation to change as the property matures. Check what recent diners had to say to find out how things are going.
If you're thinking of getting a spa treatment, read our review.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation for the purpose of reviewing Cavallo Point. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.