49-Mile Drive From the Palace of Fine Arts to the PresidioYou should be able to follow the 49-Mile Drive signs here, but in case some are missing:
- From Baker Street in front of the Palace of Fine Arts, go south (away from the bay)
- Turn left onto Bay Street
- Turn right onto Broderick
- Turn right onto Chestnut
- Go straight across Richardson Ave.
- Turn left onto Lyon St.
- Turn right through the stone gate onto Lombard and into the Presidio, a former military post that is as old as the city itself. George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic complex is on the right (no visitors allowed)
- Lombard merges with Presidio Blvd at the stop sign, keep going straight
- Go straight at the stop sign. Follow Lincoln at the Y intersection (which is straight ahead).
- Follow Lincoln to the right of the row of brick buildings. You'll soon pass the military cemetery (one of only two cemeteries inside San Francisco city limits)
- Continue on Lincoln Blvd toward the Golden Gate Bridge
In the Presidio, you'll find the Walt Disney Family Museum which tells the story of Walt Disney's life. It would take too long to stop while following the 49-Mile Drive, but is worth a visit on another day.
Crissy Field is pleasant side trip off Lincoln, a good place to stretch the legs. To get there, follow Long Avenue downhill toward Fort Point, park your car and walk back toward the city, with the Golden Gate Bridge behind you. You can also See more photos of the Crissy Field walk to get an idea of what it's like.