What to Expect from San Francisco in June
Summer is when San Francisco weather starts to depart from the sunny California stereotype. As temperatures start to climb, heat and geography conspire to pull moisture into the city from the ocean, sometimes resulting in fog so dense that the sun never breaks through it.
San Franciscans get so used to cool weather that a forecast of moderate highs once posted twitter @KarltheFog to quip: "San Francisco is currently experiencing a heat wave in the mid-70s. Residents are advised to stay hydrated & wear their only pair of shorts."
San Francisco Weather in June
Average High Temperature: 68°F/20°C
Average Low Temperature: 53°F/12°C
Rain & Clouds Index: 0.15 inches (0.4 cm) rain, 73% sunshine
What to Pack, What to Wear in June
Check the forecast for predicted highs and lows, but expect to be packing warmer things than you might have anticipated. Fog is cold stuff and it's not unusual to see San Franciscans wearing hats, light gloves and scarves on a foggy evening. It's not very likely to rain, but since you're bringing a jacket anyway, it won't hurt if it's a waterproof one.
With an average high for the month of 68°F, you might be comfortable in shorts on a sunny day, but they could be a bit too cool if you're going on a bay cruise or out to Alcatraz - and by the time the day's low in the mid-50s is reached, you'll feel better if your legs are covered.
San Francisco June Events
- Dine About Town: Special menus at some of San Francisco's best restaurants give a chance to enjoy some really great meals at reduced prices.
- San Francisco Pride: A celebration of the heritage and culture of the lesbian gay, bisexual and transgender community, with a big parade that's one of the year's best.
- North Beach Festival: An Italian-themed street fair, with good food and music. Fun extras include Assisi Animal Blessings and Arte di Gesso (Italian street chalk art).
- Union Street Festival: One of the city's oldest street fairs, featuring arts and crafts, food and music - and with a large area reserved for eco-friendly vendors.
- Haight Ashbury Street Fair: Celebrates the neighborhood with arts and crafts, food booths, musical stages and family activities.
- Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon: No prisoner ever escaped from Alcatraz, but these athletes do, starting with a 1.5-mile swim through frigid waters.
- San Francisco Jazz Festival: The SF Jazz Center hosts performances year round, but their big festival is this month.
Especially Fun in June
Summer is the time for outdoor concerts and June through August is the season for the Stern Grove Festival. You can't beat the performers, the price (free) or the laid-back San Francisco ambiance at this outdoor summer concert series.
When the summer sun goes down, you'll find some fun things that you can't do any other time of year. Check them out in the guide to San Francisco Summer Nights
Major League Baseball season runs from March through early October and San Francisco has one of the prettiest stadiums around. If the San Francisco Giants are playing at home, watching a game is fun way to spend a few hours. We like afternoon games better than night because it's warmer.
June is humpback whale season around San Francisco. Find out how, when and where in the San Francisco Whale Watching Guide.
In the United States, Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in June. Use the California Father's Day Guide to find some fun ideas for good ol' Dad that are a lot more fun than buying him a tie.
If you get caught feeling half-frozen on a foggy day, it's a good time to try one of the real San Francisco treats. Irish coffee first landed on US shores in San Francisco and the bar that introduced it is still going strong. Find out where to get one.
Averages and Reality
Use the weather averages to get an idea of what things may be like, but it might be different when you visit. You may not believe it, but a summer day can be so chilly, you'll wish you packed your parka.
Averages are helpful for planning ahead, but don't count on your trip being "average." Check the San Francisco weather forecast before you leave home.