Golden Fire HydrantThe earthquake's force destroyed most of the water mains, making it nearly impossible to fight the fires that broke out after the shaking stopped. Of all the fire hydrants in the city, the one at 20th and Dolores, near the Muni tracks and just up the hill from Dolores Park is one of the few that kept working. It's painted bright gold to honor its place in history.
Lotta's FountainThe ornate-looking water fountain at Geary and Kearny was dedicated in 1875, donated to San Francisco by the entertainer Lotta Crabtree. It served as a meeting point during the 1906 earthquake and fire and today, a commemoration is held there every year at the time the quake struck: 5:12 a.m. at April 18.
Earthquake Refugee CottagesThe Department of Lands and Buildings of the Relief Corporation built 5,610 cottages were constructed to house over 16,000 San Franciscans whose homes were destroyed. They put them in 11 refugee camps at Dolores Park, Washington Square, Precita Park, Portsmouth Square, and along what is now Park-Presidio Boulevard. Most were about 10 feet by 14 feet, leased to the occupants, who bought and moved them to their own property over the next two years.
Many are long gone, but two 1906 earthquake refugee cottages remain in the Presidio behind the Old Post Hospital at Lincoln Boulevard and Funston Avenue. There's another at 1227 24th Avenue Between Lincoln and Irving, which although it has been added onto, still shows its original form.