- Hours: Open daily, including many holidays but closed December 25
- Reservations: Not needed to see the museum, but a good idea for special exhibits and IMAX films
- Cost: Admission fee. Check current prices
- Location: Downtown San Jose, directions below
- How Long: Allow several hours, longer if you want to see everything in detail
- Best Time to Visit: Weekends and holidays are busier - weekdays, you may find lots of school groups
Their gift shop carries some fun tech toys and the on-premises Cafe Primavera serves food if you get hungry.
The Tech Museum Tips
- Our favorite thing isn't inside the museum but outside the exit doors. It's a fun kinetic sculpture
- Take advantage of the "Tech Tag" - a barcode on your ticket stub that you can scan at some activities and later "relive" museum experiences such as a 3-D head scan or earthquake ride.
- Photography is allowed, except inside some special exhibitions
The Tech Museum ReviewWe rate The Tech Museum 3 stars out of 5. Their high-tech exhibit technology comes with a downside, especially if it's really fun and gets a lot of use - visitors frequently complain that they are broken. Some exhibits also seem out-of-date and if you're a high-tech professional working in Silicon Valley, you'll probably find it all ho-hum. Children seem to like it more than adults.
POLL: What do you think of The Tech Museum?
Where is The Tech Museum?
The Tech MuseumThe Tech Museum is located in downtown San Jose at the corner of Market Street and Park Avenue. Street parking is hard to find but easier on weekends. Discounted parking is available (with validation) at the Second and San Carlos Street Garage and also at the Convention Center garage.
201 South Market Street
San Jose, CA
The Tech Museum website
By public transit, The Tech is near the VTA Light Rail line, with the exits at Convention Center Station or Paseo de San Antonio. You can also get there by Caltrain or Amtrak. Disembark at the San Jose Diridon station, then walk east on San Fernando Street and turn right on Market Street (about 6 blocks total). On weekdays, you can use the free morning and afternoon shuttle service.