3225 National Parks Highway
Carlsbad Caverns Website
- Hours: Open daily except December 25
- Reservations: Not required
- Cost: Entrance fee; Tour fees vary by age and tour chosen
- Location: Between Carlsbad, NM and El Paso, TX
- How Long: Allow a few hours, time depends on how many tours you take
- Best Time to Visit: Any time, the bats are here May through October
Carlsbad Caverns ReviewThe nation's deepest limestone cave at 1,567 feet (478 m), Carlsbad Caverns is also its fourth-longest. The Carlsbad Caverns visitor center features exhibits about bats, geology, cave restoration and park history.
Touring Carlsbad CavernsYou will find several options for touring Carlsbad Caverns. Call their reservation service at (800)967-2283 for more information.
- Ranger-Guided Carlsbad Caverns Tours: Options include the 1.5-hour King's Palace Tour, Hall of the White Giant, Lower Cave, Spider Cave and Slaughter Canyon Cave. Degree of difficulty varies, and some tours include steep climbs and descents.
- Self-Guided Big Room Tour: Use the automated Cavern Audio Guide and tour Carlsbad Caverns at your own pace.
- Natural Entrance Self-Guided Route: Very impressive, but not recommended for visitors with health problems because it is very steep.
- Bat Flight Programs: Held every evening, May through October
What You Need to Know About Visiting Carlsbad Caverns
- Children under 3 years of age are not permitted on any of the guided tours.
- Baby strollers are not permitted on cave trails.
- The Carlsbad Caverns visitor center and a large section of the self-guided Big Room tour are accessible to visitors using wheelchairs, as are the outdoor nature trail and bat flight amphitheater.
- Kennel facilities are available at the visitor center. Please use them, and don't leave your pet locked in a parked car.