The last big holiday of summer is one of the nicest long weekends of the year, with most coastal locations experiencing some of their best weather.
Top Labor Day Festivals in Northern California
- Sacramento: Gold Rush Days
- Fort Bragg: Paul Bunyan Days
- Sonoma County: Sonoma Wine Country Weekend
- Sausalito: Sausalito Art Festival
- Apples in the Sierra Foothills: Labor Day weekend marks the opening of most Apple Hill ranches
Labor Day Fun in Southern California
- San Diego: Festival of Sail
- Los Angeles: The Taste
- Pomona: Los Angeles County Fair
- Hollywood: The Hollywood Bowl season is nearing an end, but they still have concerts through Labor Day weekend
- San Pedro: Conquer the Bridge 5-Mile Race over the Vincent Thomas Bridge
If you're looking for more places to celebrate the Labor Day in the Los Angeles area, you'll find a full listing at Los Angeles for Visitors.
Labor Day Fireworks
Great Labor Day Getaways in California
In Palm Springs and other desert locations, the thermometer is likely to still top out at well more than 100° F, too hot for us to even think about going there. However, with a 3-day weekend, you can get a little further away from home than usual. These are a few places that would make a great Labor Day Getaway:
- Catalina Island: An extra day on Catalina is always welcome, and you don't have to worry about driving home in traffic - just take the boat.
- Eureka: Not the town in the TV show, but a nice little place on the northern coast that's filled with charming Victorian-style homes.
- Rent a Houseboat: For a great end-of-summer blowout, grab some friends and rent a houseboat on Lake Shasta or the Sacramento River Delta.
- Mount Lassen: This volcano last blew its top in 1915, but you'll still find plenty of fire and brimstone simmering beneath the surface - and some great scenery all around.
- Mendocino: Pretty scenery and relaxing surroundings make "Mendo" a good place to rest up after a busy summer.
- East of the Sierras on Hwy 395: Before Tioga Pass closes for the winter, take a quick trip over the Sierras to Mono County to visit the mother lode of ghost towns and one of California's most scenic lakes.
Labor Day on California Highways
The California Highway Patrol always increases their presence on highways during Labor Day weekend, so you'd be prudent to keep your speed in check.
Labor Day weekend is also one of Cal Trans' favorite times to work on road projects, which may include major road closures. Visit their website to check for road closures or call 800-427-7623.