Top Labor Day Festivals in Northern California
- Sacramento: Gold Rush Days
- Fort Bragg: Paul Bunyan Days
- Sonoma County: Sonoma Wine Country Weekend
- Sausalito: Sausalito Art Festival
- Apples in the Sierra Foothills: Labor Day weekend marks the opening of most Apple Hill ranches
Labor Day Fun in Southern California
- San Diego: Festival of Sail
- Los Angeles: The Taste
- Pomona: Los Angeles County Fair
- Hollywood: The Hollywood Bowl season is nearing an end, but they still have concerts through Labor Day weekend
- San Pedro: Conquer the Bridge 5-Mile Race over the Vincent Thomas Bridge
Labor Day FireworksIndependence Day is the traditional time for fireworks, but quite a few places have them over Labor Day, too. They include California's Great America in Santa Clara, Sea World San Diego, South Lake Tahoe and Disneyland
Great Labor Day Getaways in CaliforniaIn Palm Springs and other desert locations, the thermometer is likely to still top out at well over 100° F, too hot for us to even think about going there. However, with a 3-day weekend, you can get a little further away from home than usual. These are a few places that would make a great Labor Day Getaway:
- Catalina Island: An extra day on Catalina is always welcome, and you don't have to worry about driving home in traffic - just take the boat.
- Eureka: Not the town in the TV show, but a nice little place on the northern coast that's filled with charming Victorian-style homes.
- Rent a Houseboat: For a great end-of-summer blowout, grab some friends and rent a houseboat on Lake Shasta or the Sacramento River Delta.
- Mount Lassen: This volcano last blew its top in 1915, but you'll still find plenty of fire and brimstone simmering beneath the surface - and some great scenery all around.
- Mendocino: Pretty scenery and relaxing surroundings make "Mendo" a good place to rest up after a busy summer.
- East of the Sierras on Hwy 395: Before Tioga Pass closes for the winter, take a quick trip over the Sierras to Mono County to visit the mother lode of ghost towns and one of California's most scenic lakes.
Labor Day on California HighwaysThe California Highway Patrol always increases their presence on highways during Labor Day weekend, so you'd be prudent to keep your speed in check.
Even though those alcoholic beverages seem like fun, don't get in the car afterward. California's AAA offers their Tipsy Tow program on Labor Day for anyone in California, whether or not they're a member. Just call 800-222-4357 (AAA-HELP) and tell them you need a "Tipsy Tow." They'll tow you, your friends and anyone else (up to 5 miles).
Labor Day weekend is also one of Cal Trans' favorite times to work on road projects, which in some years has included closing the San Francisco Bay Bridge. Visit their website to check for road closures or call 800-427-7623.