It's not surprising that many of California's most relaxing destinations are also its most romantic. Check our top California romantic getaways, best hotel spas and California hot springs resorts or try some of these spots:
- Benton Hot Springs: If you'd like seclusion and breath-taking scenery, head east of the Sierras to this charming, bed and breakfast inn that has its own naturally-fed hot tub spas.
- Big Sur: With a relaxing, double-whammy of gorgeous scenery and laid-back ambiance, it's no wonder Big Sur lodging puts out "no vacancy" signs weeks in advance.
- Calistoga: Calistoga is steamy even before you arrive, its natural hot springs harnessed by local spas for relaxing mud baths and mineral water soaks. Stay in the pleasant, walkable downtown and you can have a car-free weekend.
- Occidental: One of the cutest little towns you'll ever see, with an unusual spa nearby, fine dining and an even finer inn make Occidental ultra-appealing.
- San Francisco: Often voted one of the world's most romantic cities, San Francisco is a great place for a quick getaway.
- Valley of the Oaks: For a real "in the middle of nowhere" destination with star-studded history, visit William Randolph Hearst's Hacienda and nearby Spanish mission.
- Northern California Hideaways: Great hotels that you can just check into and hang out.
- Catalina Island: With eucalyptus and wild fennel scenting the air, Catalina is almost like a dose of relaxing, natural aromatherapy. I think this place is so romantic that I got married there. Need I say more?
- Julian: This former gold rush town is filled with antique shops and surrounded by apple orchards, which accounts for the plethora of local restaurants serving good, old-fashioned apple pie.
- Tijuana: There's more to "TJ" than bullfights and bargains. You can get a relaxing massage here, enjoy dinner in one of the city's finest restaurants, and come home with money to spare.
- La Jolla: This seaside jewel is a great place for oceanside walks, window-shopping or lingering over gourmet cuisine.
- Southern California Hideaways: Great hotels for a weekend escape, where you can settle in and stay put until you're ready to go home.