Little-Known But Fantastic Places for California Getaways
- Cayucos: Just a few blocks long, it's possibly the cutest little beach town in the state.
- Lake County: It's just north of Napa, but few people get far enough to visit its pretty lake and budding winegrowing region.
- Mono County: Eye-popping scenery and one of the best places in the state for fall foliage.
- Mount Lassen: A sleeping volcano with some steamy thermal features, it last erupted in 1915, but it's quiet for now.
- Occidental: A charming, very small town in a seldom-visited corner of Sonoma County.
- Valley of the Oaks: The Spanish were the first Europeans to find it, but the railroad bypassed it and it's been little-changed ever since.