If you're going from place to place in California, you're faced with a bewildering choice of transit. You can drive a car, take a train, hop a bus, catch a shuttle or go by air - but which is best, what's available for your trip? This little guide summarizes all the ways to get from the proverbial Point A to Point B in California.
Going to Disneyland
Disneyland is between LA and San Diego and of you live in the Los Angeles/Anaheim area, this might seem like a no-brainer: just take the closest freeway and get off when you see the signs, but if you don't have your own car, it gets a bit harder. These pages summarize your options for getting to Disneyland from other points in the Los Angeles area. If you're coming from somewhere else, check the info below for getting to one of those places first.
Going to Las Vegas
Yes, we realize that Las Vegas is not in California, but it's a popular add-on to many folks' California vacations and from California cities, most of the trip is inside the state. These guides will help you get to "Sin City" from wherever you are. Check out the summer route from San Francisco; it's one of our favorites.
Going to Los Angeles
We get a lot of questions about how to get to Los Angeles from San Francisco - and there are plenty of ways to do it. Our guide summarizes them all - and how to get there from Las Vegas and San Diego, too. Your choice of transport to Los Angeles should also take into account exactly where in that vast metropolitan area you're trying to get to. The answer for getting to downtown LA, for example, would be very different than how to get to the beach.
Going to San Diego
Besides the obvious driving routes, you can get to San Diego by a lot of other modes of transportation and because so many folks visit Disneyland and San Diego in the same trip, we've summarized how to travel between them, even if you don't have a car to drive.
Going to San Francisco
Lots of folks want to know how to get to San Francisco - on the coastal route, the scenic route, by train, bus or car, but you might be surprised to find that the train doesn't go there. These guides spell out your options.
More California Transportation Resources
- California Distance Calculator: Use this to find out how far it is from place to place.
- California Vacation Time Calculator: One of California travel planners' biggest goofs is to try to do too much. This handy online calculator will help you figure out how much you can really get done - in the time you have available.
- Interactive California Map: This map is a good way to figure out where everything is, click over to find out about the places shown and plan an overall route.
- California Vacation Itineraries: Along with figuring out how to get from place to place, you'll need to know what route you're going to take - and how to get it all arranged so you don't backtrack too much. This guide can help with some ideas.
- California's Best Destinations for YOU: A guide to things to do in California by location, interests and season.